Calculate Median in Excel
The Excel median function when used on a series of number will return the middle number (statistical median) from the series of numbers.
Example: Let’s say we have the following series of numbers
1,2,3,4,5 If we use Median Formula it’ll return 3.
In a data set of odd number of values the median is the middle value. But in case of an even number of values, the median is calculated on the average of the middle two.
Let’s see an example of the same:
In case of even numbers, median =(3+4)/2=3.5
How to calculate median in excel?
Just follow the basic syntax for Excel median function.
Num1, Num2 and so on are the set of numeric values or array of numbers from which you want to derive the median value.
Let’s see the Excel median formula in action:
- Select the cell where you want to get the value of median.
- Type in the formula
=MEDIAN(300,500,1000,400,350,280) or =MEDIAN(B2:B7)
- Hit enter and voila you have just used Excel formula for median
If we would have put a series of even number of values, the median in excel would have been as follows:
Facts about Excel median function
- When calculating median, cells with zero value are also counted to calculate median in excel
- Cells containing text/logical values as well as empty cells are ignored in calculation
- In Excel 2007 and above, you can input up to 255 number arguments in the median formula. But in Excel 2003, the limit is only up to 30 number arguments. The hack is that each number argument could be an array of multiple values or represent a range.
This is how to find median in excel. It is just one of the three measures of central tendency used in statistics.
Do check Excel Mean & Excel Mode functions to better understand the different measures of central tendency in excel.
I hope this article was helpful to you and explained you in depth the use of median formula in excel and much more.
If you have any questions or tips, I’d love to hear them in the comment section below.